OT: MLS in Nashville

ZReed
Starter

Re: OT: MLS in Nashville

Unread post by ZReed » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:59 pm

Atlanta United STH here hoping Nashville happens.

I think Cincy is probably the favorite, but I think Nashville may have locked up the second of the four spots that are about to be granted.
Stephen Shirley
2nd String

Unread post by Stephen Shirley » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:08 am

I like the location of Nashville as the sweet spot between Atlanta and the rest of the league. When you looked at the MLS map a couple of years ago, there was a GIGANTIC hole in the southeast with no teams. Adding Orlando and Atlanta was the obvious first answer. The league continues to hold out hope that the David Beckham helmed Miami team will add another presence in Florida. But there is still a long arc of emptiness that extends from Atlanta to Houston-Dallas-Kansas City-Columbus-Washington DC. Placing another team inside that arc has got to be an important goal for the league.

The North Carolina bids are either defunct (Charlotte) or still dealing with financials (Raleigh.) The Cincinnati and Indianapolis sites still sit on the Midwest fringe of that arc. Nashville just sits in that sweet spot. But again, the stadium site at the fairgrounds just lacks the buzz and appeal.

I would be shocked if Nashville got one of the first two expansion bids that will be announced later this year. That means the city/club will get a chance to prove the viability of the bid with strong supporter attendance before the last two slots are announced next year. Poorly or even under-attended USL games will doom the bid just as quickly as a bad stadium deal.
ZReed
Starter

Unread post by ZReed » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:21 pm

I'd put Cincy ahead of Nashville, but Nashville on at worst, even standing with anyone else jostling for that 2nd spot.

They may opt for one of the western bids to pair with Cincy, but I'm not really sure why, with LAFC joining next year, as long as Miami is in purgatory, the conferences will be unbalanced going forward.
KAjunRaider
Assistant Coach

Unread post by KAjunRaider » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:10 pm

Has there been any soccer stadium location talk downtown ?

I've only heard Fairgrounds so far
Stephen Shirley
2nd String

Unread post by Stephen Shirley » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:45 am

Fairgrounds only really.
Predarat
2nd String

Unread post by Predarat » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:14 am

Sounds like this thing is really gaining steam. Like others I have mostly heard Fairgrounds, a few rumbles of the old Greer area, and a few about the Gulch, but sounds like there is nowhere big enough to put it near the Gulch.

Billionaire family joins push to bring Major League Soccer team to Nashville
http://fox17.com/news/local/billionaire ... -nashville

I really enjoyed the Tottenham/ManCity game, got to sit with the Spurs supporters and even though the game itself was shyte for the Spurs it was a great atmosphere. Loved their chants, some of them I had a hard time not laughing through them. Those were some awesome fans to be around. They stood and chanted pretty much the entire game, though that part was not good for some unsuspecting families and others who bought tickets in that area not knowing what they were getting into. Pregame atmosphere was lit.
Predarat
2nd String

Unread post by Predarat » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:17 am

mcbeetinemup wrote:
Predarat wrote:The Gold Cup went well attendance wise and I hear the International Cup is expected to do just as well or beat it. But as others have said, if they cannot get the new stadium, it won't happen. But another good turn out for the International Cup will help. COYS!
saw a headline that said 50k sold for saturday.
It was a good turnout, though at one point they were projecting over 60K, it ended up 56K and change. Combined with the US its over 100K, so another good mark to make this happen.
Sninho
3rd String

Unread post by Sninho » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:07 pm

I think Nashville has everything you could possibly want going for it right now, outside of a finished stadium, and I'll honestly be more shocked if they are not one of the two bids this year. I'm not wild about the Fairgrounds, but at least there is somewhere in the vicinity of downtown that the local government supports putting a stadium, which is different than many of the other bids. And with as popular as the Wedgewood/Houston neighborhood is becoming, there's no reason to think a stadium there couldn't spur big developments. The cost of building a stadium downtown would be astronomical. Nashville SC's CEO is a former VP of International Business for MLS's commercial business division. They have location, they have the demographics, and they have the most capital, in terms of ownership wealth, of just about any other bid. They don't have a top flight league competing for attention during the season. MLS is fighting for attention and to be able to choose to jump into the "It" city of the times is highly, highly appealing to them. It doesn't mean anything, but Nashville had the highest attended game of the Gold Cup, including the semi-finals and finals. Then they turned around and topped that with the ICC game that's been previously mentioned. I'm quite bullish on Nashville getting a bid.

I think Don Garber already stated who the 4 bids are going to, honestly. Sacramento, Cincinnati, Detroit, and Nashville, but not in that order.
bufordfan98
2nd String

Unread post by bufordfan98 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:56 pm

Id love to flip Detroit with Tampa.
ZReed
Starter

Unread post by ZReed » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:07 am

bufordfan98 wrote:Id love to flip Detroit with Tampa.
Pass on another Florida team unless the Miami bid officially dies and that's not the direction it looks to be headed in.