Reminder: Blue Raider Zone will be down for a major server upgrade for up to 48 hours beginning Monday, February 26th, 6:00pm CT. (Details)

Prepare for Kermit to Ole Miss talk...

Discussion of the Blue Raider men's basketball team.
ZReed
Starter

Prepare for Kermit to Ole Miss talk...

Unread post by ZReed » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:06 pm

Andy Kennedy out at Ole Miss, I'm not worried, but people will undoubtedly talk, especially if we crack the top 25 and get another win(or more) in March.
ThreeIfByLightning
MVP

Re: Prepare for Kermit to Ole Miss talk...

Unread post by ThreeIfByLightning » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:09 pm

More likely Andy comes here as an assistant if one of our current assistants leaves.

Though I expect that he'll end up as a head coach at a non-privileged conference school
La Flama Blanca
2nd String

Unread post by La Flama Blanca » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:15 pm

Yes, just saw that. After the way Kermit has owned them and being from MS he has to be HIGH on their list.
"Triathalons?- No Actually I don’t, I play real sports. Not trying to be the best at exercising.” Kenny F-in Powers
NoogaRaider
2nd String

Unread post by NoogaRaider » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:52 pm

what are the odds he goes?
MoodyBlueRaider
Grayshirt

Unread post by MoodyBlueRaider » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:09 pm

Since he played at Mississippi State; let's hope his Bulldog blood doesn't translate to his old Rebel Rival.
ZReed
Starter

Unread post by ZReed » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:46 pm

NoogaRaider wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:52 pm
what are the odds he goes?
Personally, with the investment and loyalty that we've put into Kermit and the place he and his family have found in the community, it's going to take a truely eliteprogram, or a program prepared to offer stupid money, like $3M+, to lure Kermit away.

Ole Miss is not elite and they were only paying Kennedy $1.9M.

I'm not worried.
ThreeIfByLightning
MVP

Unread post by ThreeIfByLightning » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:52 am

The community is not doing us any favors. For a program that is where we are there is no reason for an arena to be 30% full even one as big as ours. I mostly blame McPhee for our lack of local engagement that has curbed interest in the university, but we've failed in athletics as well particularly in marketing and fundraising - which certainly impacts our attendance.

And the irony is that - unlike Stockstill - Kermit is outstanding with the community. He does a great job connecting with the locals. He is equally adept in the media environment. And he's proven now that not only is he an elite X's and O's coach but also that he can recruit to MT. If you can recruit to MT you can recruit anywhere. It's these reasons why I'm surprised someone hasn't already thrown $3 or $4 million at him. And if they do I won't blame him for leaving.

That said, I believe he is being honest that he wants to turn MT basketball into a national program/brand like Gonzaga or Butler. And I actually believe he can do it. But we need to do more than lip service in giving him what he needs. We need the Murphy Center renovated. We need Massaro to get out there publicly with the facilities master plan upgrades to increase interest in the program and hopefully raise more money to make it happen. Based on his comments at halftime on Stadium it sounds like they may be waiting until Spring to announce it.

There is a lot that goes into it. If we can promise Kermit the facilities upgrades he needs (and make that a priority to happen sooner than later) then I believe he will stay. I trust what he tells us. I believe he wants to be here. But MT and the community needs to start doing the things that will demonstrate to him that we also want him to keep doing what he's doing here.
mtfnby5
Starter

Unread post by mtfnby5 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:49 am

If Davis decides to look at greener pastures who can blame him? He's been, since establishing a very competitive program a half-dozen years ago, begging for support. While attendance had risen slowly it should have exploded, especially with the students. It clearly hasn't.

IMHO, and I clearly own it, the problem with men's BKB support is indicative of overall support for MT. The future looked bright when we moved up to D-1 FB, even looked good when we moved up to C-USA, but we are stagnating if not losing ground. The future doesn't look good for MT athletics and we have discussed the reasons ad infinitum. The MT athletic program is becoming less and less relevant to the students, alumni, Boro residents, area media, etc.; not to mention the casual fan in the mid-state area.

Just got an e-mail about renewing my BRAA membership. While I'l probably keep it I am considering dropping a level. I'm really pissed at the disrespect shown fans by not clearly letting us know which radio and TV stations will be carrying the games, among other factors.
Blue H
2nd String

Unread post by Blue H » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:55 am

Just saw on Twitter that some Ole Miss fan site claims an unnamed "reliable source" says Kermit would accept the Ole Miss job if offered. Of course this is a yearly occurrence here. I don't buy it for a second. Ole Miss doesn't seem like that attractive of a job imo.
KAjunRaider
Assistant Coach

Unread post by KAjunRaider » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:44 pm

Kermit is tired of the lack of support. That is for sure.

If he leaves, we've done it to ourselves. Such a shame.

Our own university radio station will not even broadcast his games.......... after receiving thousands of dollars from MT Athletics to do so.

Screw WMOT and the horse they rode in on.